Passport Adventure – All the Juicy Details!
There’s so much to experience when you join us on our Summer Passport Adventure! You’ll be making new fiber friends, trying new yarns, threads, and other fibery goodies, learning new techniques, exploring a new kind of fiber art, creating handmade treasures (for yourself – or to gift), experiencing the joy of making something with your own two hands, and, most of all, having fun!
Throughout the summer there will be three main projects that are connected to National Parks throughout the US. We announced the June project today, the July project will be announced on June 28, and the August project will be revealed on July 26. Passport Adventure participants will get a stamp on their passport for finishing each project. We’ll hold Snippets mini-classes throughout the summer that will focus on techniques related to the projects, and completing a Snippet will get you a stamp on your passport, too! Remember the Yarn Bowl? You’ll get stamps on your Passport for knitting/crocheting baby hats, too (plus, you’ll help us beat Ole Miss, which we really just HAVE to do – 5 hats will equal one stamp). There will be other opportunities (and contests!) for passport stamps, so stay tuned. And of course, prizes will be awarded for completing the Passport!
Today we announced the “first stop” of our tour at Acadia National Park and revealed the first project: Lady Fern. She’s gorgeous in every way and each section reminds me of a different and amazing area in Acadia National Park. Lady Fern is made using Shibui Linen yarn, luscious to the touch and delightful to the eye. We’ve created three different color options from which to choose – each inspired by the beautiful colors of Maine. (From left to right below, Bar Harbor, Cadillac Mountain, and Schoodic Point.) You can snag your kit in person or in our online shop!
Participating From Afar
Not local? No worries! We’re excited for you to participate, too! As you complete projects, we’d love for you to send us a picture of your finished project that we can share on Facebook. And of course, you’ll get stamps on your virtual Passport, too!
For those participating from afar, the dates for project completion (to qualify for the prizes) are as follows:
- The June project needs to be begun and completed between 6/1 and 6/30 (with a photo of the completed project uploaded to our Lady Fern Project Photo Gallery by 11:59 p.m. CDT on 7/1).
- The July project needs to be begun and completed between 7/1 and 7/31 (with a photo of the completed project uploaded to our Project Two Photo Gallery by 11:59 p.m. CDT on 8/1).
- The August project needs to be begun and completed between 8/1 and 8/31 (with a photo of the completed project uploaded to our Project Three Photo Gallery by 11:59 p.m. CDT on 9/1).
You’ll find the Project Photo Galleries on the Serendipity Passport Adventure Facebook page. Come join it today! And, if Facebook just isn’t your thing (I get it!), you can send me a picture of your completed project on the aforementioned dates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And, just in case you still have questions, we put together some general info and a FAQ to see if we could clear up any confusion!
1. We are offering double FiveStars points for the yarns you are going to use for your project during a designated shopping week called “Pack Your Bags” each month. The double points reward for Project One, is valid for one project’s worth of yarn during Pack Your Bags Week One (May 24 – June 1). The double points will be awarded when your package ships. Not a member of FiveStars? We’ll be happy to set up an account for you. Just send an email to Ellen@serendipityneedleworks. com and I’ll take care of it for you.
2. If you choose to do all three projects with us (yarn for each project purchased during Pack Your Bags Week or later for that project and finished project photos uploaded by the deadlines) we will also be awarding you a special skein of beautiful fingering weight yarn, in a fun Summer Passport Adventure color at the end of the summer. We anticipate having the bonuses ready for you around the middle of September. This gives us the chance to get all of the photos approved and up in the photo galleries.
So if you participate in all three months of the Passport Adventure and follow the guidelines, you’ll get 3 projects worth of DOUBLE FiveStars points and a beautiful skein of fingering weight yarn in an exclusive Passport Adventure color. That’s yarn not available for purchase in the store – ever!!!
Summer Passport Adventure Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Can we participate with needlepoint instead of knitting or crochet?
A. For the 2016 Summer Passport Adventure, we’re sticking with knitting or crochet.
Q. I didn’t get to order during Pack Your Bags Week, but if I order my project yarn later and complete the project by the deadline, does that still count, even though I know I don’t get the double FiveStars points?
A. Yes. Any yarn ordered 5/24 or later can count for Project One. You’ll still be eligible for the drawings and prizes for that month, and if you finish all three projects by the deadlines (with yarn ordered during that project’s Pack Your Bags Week or later), you’ll get the bonus reward – a free skein of yarn.
Q. I want to participate using yarn from my stash. Does that still count?
A. We’re happy for you to participate using yarn from your stash, as long as it’s yarn that we currently carry at Serendipity Needleworks. Unfortunately, you won’t be eligible for the bonus at the end of the Adventure if you use stash yarn.
Q. When you say to knit the project between 6/1 and 6/30, when EXACTLY does the timing start?
A. You can start at 12:01 am your time on 6/1 if you’d like, although a good night’s sleep and a good breakfast might be a better idea. The project needs to be done by 11:59 pm on 6/30, your time. The photos need to be uploaded by 11:59 pm OUR time (Central Daylight Time) on 7/1.
Q. How do I know if I’m on track for the free bonus, and when will I get it?
A. If you purchase your project yarn during Pack Your Bags Week (or later that same project month) and upload your photo by the deadline, then you are on track. Once the Passport Adventure is over and the bonus is ready (approximately mid-September), we’ll send you a notice to let you know.